Top 5 Reasons to go to Rancho La Puerta, Mexico
If you love authentic places, then Rancho La Puerta in Mexico is the place for you! It was set up way back when - long before 'wellness' became such a trend so it has experience and soul in spades - we love it and are very sure that you will too. Our client, Sharon, recently visited and adored it so much that she kindly shared with us her Top 5 reasons to go on a spa holiday here. Take a read and call us soon to book and be on your way too!
1. The choice of activities is mind blowing. Sound healing, Pilates, hiking, Pickleball (the fastest growing sport in North America), striptease even (don’t worry clothes stay on!), tennis, cardio-drumming, running clinics, art classes. You name it, it’s here. So it’s a great place to try new things.
2. The warm welcoming energy. Rancho La Puerta (RLP) is a high end spa, but it also has a lovely earthy, feel and the default setting amongst guests and staff is super friendly. Everyone talks about the RLP ‘family’ and it’s true, you feel like you are part of a something, there’s a strong community vibe and they treat you like a long lost relative or dearly cherished friend.
3. The gardens. These are stunning and huge, with over 200 species of plant. And it smells like heaven too, with trellises dripping with jasmine, beds of lavender, rosemary and sage, almond trees, live oaks, hollyhocks and grape vines. It’s worth coming the gardens alone. And all this is in the foothills of the sacred Mount Kuchumaa, so the location is magical.
4. The fascinating history. The Ranch is so much more than a spa, it has its own culture and history and has been instrumental in changing the way people think about health in the States and beyond. One of the co-founders, Deborah Szekely, who is still there at 95, doing her Q&A sessions, has done a huge amount for women, the arts and the environment. Lots of the staff have been here for decades (always a good sign) and will give you the inside scoop on all the old-school Hollywood legends who have passed through the doors, from Natalie Wood and Zsa Zsa Gabor to Oprah and Elizabeth Taylor.
5. Magical morning Hikes. Rancho La Puerta is a hiker’s heaven, with breathtakingly morning walks midst the wild flowers and chaparral (the blanket of wild plants and herbs that covers the boulder-strewn slopes of sacred Mt Kuchumaa). The hikes are guided and tailored to different fitness levels, so there’s something for everyone.